WELCOME FROM HAYWOOD STREET
The Golf for Awareness registration is open! This annual fundraising event benefits the Downtown Welcome Table and Respite, supporting those struggling with poverty and/or homelessness. The event will be held at the Asheville Municipal Golf Course on September 16th. Register Here!
The Respite patio renovation has begun! Robert is inviting those who want to help out with construction to come by on Monday, Tuesday, or Thursday at 9:00 am.
Here’s a heads up that a time change is coming to the Wednesday Downtown Welcome Table. Beginning on August 17th, the Welcome Table will be moved to 10:00-11:30 am. The hope is that this shift will allow companions and staff who want to attend worship at 12:30 have enough time to clean and transition upstairs.
We had wonderful song and sharing service this Wednesday! We were able to thank our Asheville Youth Mission friends for their work this summer, say a prayer over Pastoral Intern, Grace, as she goes back to school, and hear the songs and testimonies from our friends. If you haven’t yet, come join us for worship at 12:30 on Wednesday!
If you’ve been looking for an opportunity to use your cooking skills, you are invited to sign up to deliver a meal to the folks in Respite! You can sign up to be part of the meal train here.
Check out this updated calendar that lists the food resources in the Asheville area. You’ll find the organizations, times, and locations where folks can get meals and groceries each day.
Click here to see the list the places in the community to donate clothes and to find free clothes. If you know of a place not on this list, reach out to Melanee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Servers are invited to join us at the Welcome Table: The kitchen is in need of additional servers at the Downtown Welcome Table on Wednesdays and Sundays. If you’d like to help, please let Katlyn know or sign up and feel free to bring a friend!
- Meal Train for Respite: Every night of the week a wonderful home cooked meal is provided for our friends in Respite. This month there are several open days that we need folks to sign up for. You can do so here: https://mealtrain.com/dm2y6z. Feel free to share this need with your friends, Bible Studies, etc.
- Haywood Street Hair Cutting Ministry – We are currently in the process of reimagining the Hair Cutting Ministry here that we have had in the past. If you would like to be a part of that process or would like to cut or wash hair when it is open, let Katlyn know!
- NEW MINISTRY UPDATES – Starting the week of May 1
- Sunday Bible Study – 11:00am in the sanctuary
- Tuesday Prayer Group – 12:00 in the sanctuary – Gather for a time of communal prayer
- Thursday Card Making Group – 10:00am in Room 1 (off the main lobby) – Gather together to make cards for our community and friends in prison or in the hospital
Connecting the Sacred and Sports
By Larry Lordi
I have been asked to write a reflection for this Sacred Encounter column about the September 16 Golf For Awareness Event. How to connect “sacred” and “sports”…?
Let me begin by saying there is no better cause as the event supports Haywood Street which is indeed a special and sacred place. Anyone who has had the opportunity to experience the Downtown Welcome Table, which provides 1,000 superb hot meals every week to the hungry and homeless or Respite, which offers a place to rest and heal for those recovering from an illness or injury, knows that Haywood Street is an unbelievably unique, welcoming community. They would also know that the need is great and that our support helps to continue the mission of providing quality care to those less fortunate on a daily/weekly basis.
I have had this date circled on my calendar since mid March because it is such a Crazy and Fun day on the links. I have played in many, many tournaments but Nothing like this one!There is an energy/buzz (not unlike Holy Chaos) as companions, supporters, family and friends descend on the registration tables to get assigned to their starting hole, buy raffle tickets and mulligans, get lunch and drinks..practice putting etc.. Once the “admin” is done we get ready to play in The Most Unique golf event ever designed..Unique…? How about…only 5 clubs allowed..but you get to play from 5 red tees and are granted 5 mulligans..and best of all you get 6 feet of string! Yes string…It becomes a “strategic” debate amongst your group re..Should we use it now..?? Towards the end it is hilarious to stretch every last inch of it as your par putts will become birdies IF you have enough string to reach the hole!
Another special aspect of the day is Rev Combs blessing the assembled group. Recently he somehow connected Jesus’ ministry with His disciples and feeding the hungry and Haywood Street and golf. My son Joe still talks about what an amazing and inspirational way it was to start a tournament.
And Yes..It’s a Tournament as every group competes to try and defeat the perennial and 5 time champion Wicked Weed Team.So there is competition but in a “good way” as Haywood Street’s mission…Relationship Above All Else…is a central theme.
In the Scramble Format you are teammates. Everyone roots for everyone to do and to be their best.After 4 hours riding in a cart together..coaching, cajoling, cheering and maybe even crying ..you will indeed have built 3 new special relationships…regardless of your score.
There are prizes for the golf winners and for the lucky raffle tickets.There is also food, drink, sunshine, laughter, and a hat for everyone!
I hope you will consider joining us Friday September 16 to support Haywood Street’s mission. Come Volunteer…Sponsor..Play..Have Fun with Companions and Friends. I can pretty much guarantee it will be one of the best days of your summer.