Haywood Street Community,
If you haven’t heard by now, Haywood Street has an urgent plumbing situation that has to be addressed immediately. Unfortunately, the construction has to be done in our kitchen which means that the kitchen, dining room, and dish room will be shut down for the next week and a half.
What does this mean for the Downtown Welcome Table?
- Our next three meals (Sunday Sept. 10, Wednesday Sept. 13, and Sunday Sept. 17th) won’t look like they normally do. We will be unable to provide a hot, home cooked meal around the tables in the dining room. However, we are still providing a meal! We can’t imagine not having food for our community, so we are working to plan 3 different meals. Here is our current plan (subject to change):
- Sunday, Sept. 10th – Boxed lunch provided by Haywood Street
- Wednesday, Sept. 13th – Boxed lunches provided by Corner Kitchen Catering
- Sunday, Sept. 17th – Cookout! We will be grilling hotdogs and hamburgers outside and sides will be provided by Warren Wilson College. We are working on having grills brought to Haywood Street that day so we have enough space to grill. Please email email@example.com if you can bring a grill!
- We will be serving these meals out of the hospitality room. This means that haircuts and art table will not be happening during this time on Wednesdays.
- Our schedule will stay the same! We will still serve meals during the normal hours, but will not have designated seating times.
- Clothing closet, worship, garden, prayer chapel, and Respite ministries will all continue as normal.
We don’t know for sure how long construction will take, so we will update you with any changes.
Our staff and security committee have been working hard since Tuesday when we found out construction would happen. Please be understanding and flexible with us as we are working to figure this all out! It is going to take a lot of coordination and teamwork by staff and companions.
Companions – we still need your help!!! Even though the meals will look different, most Haywood Street activities will stay the same. More than ever we need you to be here and offer a calming presence to our community during this chaotic situation! I will be sending an email specifically to our companions who help with the meal with more details regarding times and schedule.
Let’s take this opportunity to have fun and do something different! Please be in prayer for our ministry, staff, and companions as we plan the next week and a half. No matter what happens, Haywood Street will always be an open, welcoming community.