WELCOME FROM HAYWOOD STREET:
1. This week we posted a new job opportunity for Minister of Congregational Care and Mission. Learn more HERE
2. Bible study. prayer & contemplation held Sundays, 12:30-2:00, outside with Pastor Jody. All are welcomed to attend.
3. Worship: Wednesdays at 12:30 in the parking lot
4. Two upcoming training events for specific high-priority needs: Dish room training on 8/24 at 2 pm and Respite driver training on 8/25 at 2 pm.
1. Sign up to provide a meal for Respite here
A HAYWOOD STREET REFLECTION BY: LAURA
This week I received an email from a woman who attended our Ministry WITH conference a few years ago. She directs a faith-based nonprofit in Florida that operates a health clinic and homeless shelter, provides emergency financial assistance and many other forms of help to unhoused and at risk individuals.
Karla described the significant impact on her ministry that came from shifting the culture from one where the goal was to “be Jesus to everyone” to one where the emphasis was on trying to “see Jesus in everyone.”
This small shift changes so much. It invites us to notice where and how God is showing up all around us. It compels us to stop and really look at someone who asks for food or clothes or money on the street corner. We have ready access to an encounter with God.
The ministries of Haywood Street provide tangible help in lots of ways, but the interaction, the encounter, the relationship is the main thing. Our mission statement has been criticized for not being more outcome-oriented, but it is so helpful in keeping us focused on that main thing. I’m grateful for Karla’s email this week that brought me back to that focus.
Peace & Grace,